9 december 2007

Last Day in Tokyo

After yet another thrilling night of Karaoke, this time with the family, I got up early this morning to catch the 9.20 showing of the sequel to ALWAYS 三丁目の夕日 (or "ALWAYS Sunset on Third Street") at Roppongi Hills' Virgin Cinema. When I walked out of the cinema, the sky was blue, the sun was shining, so I headed for one of my favorite spots in Tokyo, the Starbucks of Tsutaya (you know) where I enjoyed some tea and finished reading last year's bestseller 国家の品格 (or "The dignity of a nation") on the necessity of a revival of the Samurai spirit in Japan. This was actually a very interesting read, not at all as nationalistic as I had expected.

When I finished the book, the sun was still shining, and it was only one o'clock, so I decided to take a walk and headed for Aoyama Cemetery which surprised me with its beauty and with the gigantic monument Tokyo Governor Shintaro Ishihara had installed there recently to thank the Europeans and Americans who had helped build Japan around a 100 years ago.

After saying hello and goodbye to a friend who lives near the cemetery I had some udon and inari at at one of those places that normally serve taxi drivers and sarariiman, and not foreign girls, but it was fun anyway.. And I needed some diversion after having been completely shocked at the sight of 15 tekkels (or Dachshund..) led by only one man.

Via the crowds in Omotesando and Harajuku I finally reached my all-time favorite spot in Tokyo, the Meiji Shrine, which was about to close, so I was lucky to get in for a final prayer. During the walk up to the shrine I ran into some Dutch guys who stood out quite clearly as they were talking very loudly about playing jeu de boules on the path.. Not quite the mystical atmosphere I am used to when I visit the Shrine, but well...

And now, now I am packed, and ready to go. I wonder if my 15kg handluggage bag with books will make it to the plane..










































2 opmerkingen:

Jota zei

Awesome post! It was nice to walk a whole, sunny day in Tokyo with you.

Ahora, buen viaje, Chelle!

Remco zei

Hey Ill miss you somehow in Japan. Hope you will be back sometime for a good coffee in Fukuoka, a beach in Hirado or a poisonous Korean Bar in Kabukicho.

remco